Today was opposite day at work.
Not really but some strange things occurred.
1. Money has been getting a little better. Actually a lot better than two weeks ago but not nearly as good as a year ago. That being said most of my bills are caught up.
2. The whole scenario of not cutting the middle cocktail server seems to be going away. They started cutting at the end of the shift last week, and tonight they cut the guy at 9:30. Just like in the old days. If this continues I’ll actually be able to get completely caught up and perhaps even save some money.
3. Next week they are more or less ripping out the main kitchen and replacing things with a more efficient one. When it’s all done everything will be shiny and new. They are doing this because next week is historically the slowest week of the year. At least that’s what they said. Two years ago they replaced all of the flooring in the restaurant including an all new kitchen floor. We were closed for days for that and it was the week of the 14th. Because that was historically the slowest week of the year. Do they think no one remembers this stuff?
Long story short, we are closing early next Tuesday through Thursday. So although the money has been good this week even if we are busy next week with the shortened hours I’m back where I started.
4. Rumor has it. And it’s a very reliable source. That the General Manager of the restaurant has resigned and will be gone in two weeks. Rumor also has it that my friend Daniel who I’ve known for ten years has been approached about being promoted. This would be VERY good. VERY good indeed. The current GM puts on a good game face, but for the most part he’s all talk and no do. The last few times I’ve gone to speak to him about something it’s been a complete waste of time. He’s really just part of the boy’s club that is our management team. If you are not talking sports, booze, or girls he really doesn’t have much to talk to you about. Daniel is funny. And very hands on. And is GAY! It would be a welcome change and I really think he’d be a great improvement to the restaurant.
5. So remember my little incident on Monday night. You know the one where the manager wanted to send me home. Wanted more or less to fire me? You know that manager? Well his name is Steve. And when I went in to work tonight, I ran into Steve. It was like nothing had ever happened which was fine. He said hello and shook my hand and then said:
I’d like you to do something for me. (At this point I have no idea what he’s going to ask).
Mandy was supposed to do my annual employee evaluation and she left on vacation without doing it. Would you mind filling it out for me? I know you’ll be honest.
WHAT THE FUCK!!!
On Monday he wants to fire me. Today he wants me to fill out a survey/evaluation provided by human resources of the corporate offices and wants me to be honest. REALLY? He wants me to be honest? Do I tell them he’s an ass. Or a prick? Or incompetent? Or stupid. Or totally useless as a manager? Do I tell them he gets all power trippy and sends waiters home for no reason? Do I tell them he’s afraid to make a decision because he thinks he’ll do the wrong thing? Do I tell them that everyone including the other managers make fun of him? Do I tell them these things? Or do I somehow, very nicely say that ___________________. And more importantly I can’t think of a single positive thing to say about him. Not one!!! He’s really just a bad manager and needs to find new work. Doing something where he doesn’t have to deal with people. That’s just my thoughts on the subject.
Let’s hope tomorrow it’s still opposite day at work. Things seem to be better when it is.