Maddog’s return…

It’s been while.

When last we talked I’d flown home because my Aunt Doo was sick.  My family was pissing me off, and I was miserable as I’m wont to be when I’m at home.

Since then.

My aunt was released the next day.  We still don’t know what happened, or why she had the seizures she had.  We are still amazed that the hospital released her.  Actually everyone we’ve talked to in the medical profession is amazed that she was released without any idea what caused the problem in the first place.

I think several members of my family are still mad at me.  Seems I was inappropriate in my remarks toward them, despite the fact that they seemed to have only come to the hospital to talk about her.  I still think the time to make life changing decisions that are not your decisions to make are not when the person is in the hospital.  If you are so concerned then help her make the choice now.  Don’t wait till she’s practically unconscious to do so.

On Saturday night my mother cried saying that I’d been mean to her, and that I’d hurt her feelings.  I did the right thing and apologized but I’m not sure I meant it.  My favorite part was when my mother said, “Just don’t expect me to help next time.  Next time I won’t even go to the hospital.  You people are on your own.”

I love my family.

And so I got up Saturday LATE afternoon after being up for more than 24 hours.  I actually got up at 8:00 to find out that my aunt had already been sent home and so decided to go back to bed.  I got up around 4:00, grabbed a Diet Coke and sat in the kitchen talking to my mom.  She had a bowl of Halloween candy sitting on the table and I picked up a tootsie roll and popped it into my mouth.  I chewed two times and promptly pulled a filling and half my tooth out of my jaw.


Luckily it didn’t hurt but I figured it was only a matter of time till it would start to hurt.

This did however supply me with a good excuse to go home early.  So on Sunday morning I got up and told my mom that I really needed to get home so I could get to my dentist before the tooth started to hurt and I had to see someone in an emergency situation.  I’d of course already made the plans before I ever told her about it.  It was going to cost almost 75 dollars more to change my flight than the original flight cost in the first place.  It was only going to cost 100 dollars to drive home.  So I went to the airport picked up a car, went to my aunt’s house picked her up and took her to lunch as I’d promised and at 3:00 pulled on to the interstate to drive home.

I got home around 3:30 a.m.

Thank god.

Of course about 30 minutes into the trip I could feel my throat start to get scratchy.  By the time I got home I didn’t have much of a voice.  I was holding out hope that it wasn’t anything serious.

On Monday I got up early and called the dentist.  They could see me on Tuesday.

I woke up Tuesday and felt like shit.  Absolute shit.  I called the dentist to see if I should cancel.  I was told, “They wear masks, just come on in.”

So I did.  It took about 15 minutes to have a temporary filling put in.  And then I was told, YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A ROOT CANAL.  FUCK.  FUCK.  FUCK.

I made the appointment.  I didn’t even ask how much it was going to cost.  I just did it.  My appointment was for Friday.

And then I went home.  I’d been home about two minutes when I got a text from my friend Nick at work wanting to know where the fuck I was.  They were saying that I was a “no call/no show”.


I called work.  Seems that although I called work on Thursday night/Friday morning at 4:00 about ten minutes after I booked the flight and left a message saying that I wouldn’t be back to work till Wednesday and that I’d called again Friday morning from the airport and actually spoken to a manager, NO ONE had been told I wouldn’t be there.  Fuck.  Fuck.  Fuck.   I wasn’t in trouble.  I was just pissed.

My throat was still feeling scratchy and I was still hoping for the best.

The best didn’t happen to be in my stars.

On Wednesday I woke up sick.   Fuck.  Fuck.  Fuck.

I got my shift covered, made myself comfortable on the couch and I lived there.

I did the same on Thursday.

On Friday I still felt like shit but I was supposed to start my root canal and they said they could do it even if I was sick.  So I trudged downtown to the dentist office.  I arrived ten minutes before my appointment, at 11:00.  At 11:30 they come out to tell me they won’t be able to see me until later that afternoon because they had an emergency.  I said FUCK fine and left.  It took about three minutes for me to realize that I wasn’t going to wait downtown as badly as I felt.  So I came home.   I called the dentist and told them that I wouldn’t be in on after all but they could see me on Monday.  I was told there were no appointments available on Monday and I said that’s okay call your 11:00 and tell them they can’t be seen until 1:30 and I’ll see you at 11:00.  They didn’t find me funny.  I was a little curt and short, but I was pissed, sick and I just wanted the fucking thing over with.  I was finally told there were sorry but they couldn’t see me on Monday.  I hung up without having another appointment.  Just as I was getting comfortable on the couch the phone rang and it was the dentist.  Seems they did have an opening on Monday.  Fuck you receptionist lady at the dentist office.

That gets you up through last Friday.  There’s more to tell as always, but it’s 4:18 and I’m sleepy and have a boyfriend keeping my side of the bed warm.


5 thoughts on “Maddog’s return…

  1. Java November 13, 2009 / 15:18

    Very good to hear from you again, and wonderful news that your aunt is doing so well. I am of the opinion that the rest of your family got what they needed in your treatment of them. Yeah, say you’re sorry to make Mom feel better, but know in your heart that you were right in the first place.

    What a sucky sicky week! I hope you feel better now, including your tooth thing. I broke a tooth off at the filling recently and had to get a crown, but not a root canal. I’d much rather have a crown than a root canal.

  2. Urspo November 13, 2009 / 22:07

    dear me – such news.
    I hope the tooth thing isn’t too bad for you/gets sorted out.

  3. Urspo November 14, 2009 / 00:10

    BTW – while preparing to ‘tidy up’ my blog this weekend, I see to my horror you are not on my links list? I can only think you got lost (as did others) in the last mopping up. May I link you again?

    • Maddog November 14, 2009 / 03:44

      I would love you for you to link me again.

      I would also love it if I could get your address. I’d like to send you one of the homemade Xmas cards Adam and I are making this year. It’s been about 10 years since I’ve sent out cards and I’m really excited about it. Having a boyfriend makes me excited about a lot of things that I might have become cynical about.

      How are things out west? I’m sure by now the chill of fall is in the air. Be sure to wrap up.


  4. Sarah November 14, 2009 / 11:08

    I was too dumbstruck to respond yesterday. All I could do was hope things are headed up for you now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s