Moving Day

I’m exhausted.




It took forever to fall asleep last night.  I was worried about the rain forecasted for today.  I was worried that it was going to take twice as long as predicted and I wouldn’t have the money to pay the movers.  I was worried that Adam would change his mind and tell me that he no longer wanted me to move in with him.  I was worried the movers would crash the truck and all of my belongings would be destroyed.  I was worried that…

You get the picture.

I am my mother’s son.

I worry about things a lot.

So it was very late, or very early depending on how you look at it before I went to sleep.  Adam’s alarm went off at 7:15.  My alarm went off 30 seconds later.  He snoozed his alarm and it went off nine minutes later.  I snoozed my alarm and it went off 30 seconds after Adams.  This went on for a while.  I finally got out of bed around 7:45.  Adam got in the shower soon after.  We left for my apartment about 20 minutes later.

It was raining when we got outside.  This was not surprising. had predicted 100% chance of rain for today.  They are usually pretty close.  First stop was for coffee and donuts.  Then we began the 20 minute walk to my house.  About two seconds into the walk, we decided that they bus was the way to go.  Luckily it came pretty fast.  We got to my house somewhere around 8:30.

I was still worried.

I drank my coffee.  Adam drank his coffee.  Chuck drank his Diet Coke.  And we waited.  And we waited.  And we waited.  I kept running to the window every time I heard a truck go by.  At 9:20…nothing.  The movers were due at 9:00.  Finally around 9:35 or so I got a call saying that there was a problem with the truck, that they were picking up a new one and would be there in about 20 minutes.

At 10:15 they got there and thus the move began.

First point of note.

The foreman of the move reeked of cigarettes and booze.  I assumed he’d had a late night and that perhaps that was the reason they were late.  He also wasn’t very nice, but as I reminded myself, he wasn’t there to be cordial.  His only task was to get my stuff from one place to another.

They started carrying out the boxes.  About 15 minutes later, Adam decided he needed to go home.  I just assumed that he was overwhelmed by it all and we’d already had a chat about sitting there, not helping while having work done for you.  Chuck told him that you are only comfortable with that if you were born with help.  The rest of us had been taught to help where you could.

Adam was off.

The move continued.

It went relatively quickly.

Two hours later, the truck was loaded.  I told them that Adam would be waiting for them.  I helped Chuck move a few things around.  Gathered up the last of my belongings.  Then, while in my bedroom I looked out to see if the truck had pulled away yet.

In fact it had not.

And the reason?

Because Peter, the foreman, was enjoying a cold one.  Yes.  A cold one.  A beer.  In a paper bag but clearly a beer.

I was a little taken aback.  Clearly the smell I detected when they arrived wasn’t from the night before.  Clearly it was from early that morning.  I was pissed off to say the least.  I’ve been known to take a drink or two at work.  What I haven’t done is downed a beer, in front of a customer, just as I was about to get into a truck and drive their belongings across town.

Finally the truck left and I took my stuff and left.

I called Adam and told him what had happened.  I wanted to know what he thought I should do.  My concern was the if something was broken that they would say that they weren’t responsible.  I didn’t want to wait for something to happen to then complain after the fact that I’d see him drinking.  So I called Oz moving to report it.  I felt like I was talking Spanish to the guy.  He actually asked me what I wanted him to do about it.  He then said he’d call the dispatcher and tell him about it.  I was not pleased but I’d done what I could.

So I call Adam to tell him about the conversation.  He interrupted to tell me that the foreman had already been called and that he was aware of my complaint.  That’s a perfect way to handle it.  Call the person who’s been drinking to tell them that I’m upset that he’s been drinking when I still need him to bust his ass to finish the move as quickly as possible.  I got to the apartment and things were more than a little tense.

I told Adam when I walked him that I was going to let him handle things from this point on.  Things were tense but I thought if I stayed out of the way it would be fine.  What I wasn’t expecting was the foreman to confront me about the call.  He informed me that if I had a problem with his drinking that I should just call the police next time.  I didn’t even know what to say.  By this time I was pissed beyond all measure.

The rest of the move went off without a hitch.  We paid, I tipped, less than I should have but I wasn’t sure that I should tip at all.  But as someone who lives off tips, I took the high road.

The rest of the day was just as busy.  Adam and I walked up the street to get lunch.  We stopped by Target to pick up a few things.

And then we stopped by Manhattan Mini Storage to rent a storage space.  As I mentioned last night, we have lots of things we don’t want to part with, but don’t have room for in the apartment.  The reason we chose Manhattan Mini Storage is that they are two blocks away and they have the best ad campaigns in Manhattan.  They are also know for being VERY liberal.  This is an ad from a couple of years ago.


This was one of my favorites.

So we looked at a number of options and discovered that the cheapest would work for us.  We signed all the papers, bought our lock, found our way back up to our locker, put the lock on and we were on our way.

Finally at 6:30 we were home for the night.  Exhausted.

First thing on the agenda was trying to get my clothes chest in to our bedroom.  The movers had given up pretty quickly.  It took us about 20 minutes, but finally we gave up as well.  We spent the next 20 minutes coming up with a plan “B”.  We spent the next two hours, moving things around so that we could use what was left of the apartment.

Now it’s 11:30 and I’m going to head to bed.

Tomorrow the real fun begins.


3 thoughts on “Moving Day

  1. Peter September 28, 2009 / 02:35

    Congrats on living together [finally]. Hope the stress of moving will be gone soon so you can really start living together.

  2. Rick September 28, 2009 / 05:55

    Congratulations on moving in together. Good for you!

    Drinking while moving…that’s crazy! I probably would have waited till afterward to say something…and lessened to tip because of it. I would have been afraid of their retaliation: “Whoops, I dropped your china.” But thankfully all went well.

  3. Lemuel September 28, 2009 / 06:01

    Take your time putting your things in order so that you do not “over” stress. There will be stress enough.
    As for reporting the drinking on the job, I think you were absolutely correct in what you did. I think I would have replied to the foreman (at his suggestion you call the police) by doing exactly that. He not only risked damage to your property, but he also risked injury to others and even to himself. What was he thinking?
    Two years ago we moved to our present home. We decided to hire professional movers, and they were professional at every level. I wish you would have had a similar experience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s