A Letter to the Family…

I got the following two emails from my cousin’s common law husband.  The father of her three children.  The family of five that gets it’s medical coverage paid for by the state.  Who’s rent is subsidized by Section 8.  Who’s family is fed by food stamps.  My cousin who received gastric bypass surgery paid for through medicaid.  Who’s pregnancies were all covered by medicaid.  The same cousin who never graduated from high school even though she only had one more semester to go.  The same cousin who’s not had a job in almost four years…for various reasons.

From Ronnie:

> “I BET YOU DIDN’T SEE THIS
> IN THE NEWSPAPER OR
> ON THE 6 O’CLOCK NEWS”
> ~
> The Sailor Pictured Below Is,
> Navy Petty Officer,
> PO2
> (Petty Officer, Second Class)
> EOD2
> (Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Second Class)
> “MIKE MONSOOR”
> April 5th, 1981 ~ September 29th, 2006
> [cid:1.1542176882@web112512.mail.gq1.yahoo.com]
> [cid:2.1542176883@web112512.mail.gq1.yahoo.com]
> Mike Monsoor,
> Was Awarded “The Congressional Medal Of Honor” Last Week,
> For Giving His Life In Iraq, As He Jumped On, And Covered With His Body, A Live Hand Grenade,
> That Was Accidentally Dropped By A Navy Seal,
> Saving The Lives Of A Large Group Of Navy Seals That Was Passing By!
> ~
> During Mike Monsoor’s Funeral,
> At Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery , In San Diego , California .
> The Six Pallbearers Removed The Rosewood Casket From The Hearse,
> And Lined Up On Each Side Of Mike Monsoor’s Casket,
> Were His Family Members, Friends, Fellow Sailors, And Well-wishers.
> The Column Of People Continued From The Hearse, All The Way To The Grave Site.
> What The Group Didn’t Know At The Time Was,
> Every Navy Seal
> (45 To Be Exact)
> That Mike Monsoor Saved That Day Was Scattered Throughout The Column!
> ~
> As The Pallbearers Carried The Rosewood Casket
> Down The Column Of People To The Grave Side.
> The Column Would Collapse.
> Which Formed A Group Of People That Followed Behind.
> ~
> Every Time The Rosewood Casket Passed A Navy Seal,
> He Would Remove His Gold Trident Pin From His Uniform,
> And Slap It Down Hard,
> Causing The Gold Trident Pin To Embed Itself
> Into The Top Of The Wooden Casket!
> Then The Navy Seal Would Step Back From The Column, And Salute!
> ~
> Now For Those,
> (And Me)
> Who Doesn’t Know What A Trident Pin Is or What It Looks Like?
> Here Is The Definition And Photo!
> ~
> After One Completes The Basic Navy Seals Program Which Lasts For Three Weeks,
> And Is Followed By Seal Qualification Training,
> Which Is 15 More Weeks Of Training,
> Necessary To Continue Improving Basic Skills And To Learn New Tactics And Techniques,
> Required For An Assignment To A Navy Seal Platoon.
> After successful completion,
> Trainees Are Given Their Naval Enlisted Code,
> And Are Awarded The Navy Seal Trident Pin.
> With This Gold Pin They Are Now Officially Navy Seals!
> It Was Said,
> That You Could Hear Each Of The 45 Slaps From Across The Cemetery!
> By The Time The Rosewood Casket Reached The Grave Site,
> It Looked As Though It Had A Gold Inlay From The 45 Trident Pins That Lined The Top!
> [cid:3.1542176883@web112512.mail.gq1.yahoo.com]
> This Was A Fitting End To An Eternal Send-Off For A Warrior Hero!
> This Should Be Front-Page News!
> Instead Of The Garbage We Listen To And See Every Day.
> ~
> Here’s A Good Idea!
> Since The Main Stream Media Won’t Make This News.
> Then We Choose To Make It News By Forwarding It.
> ~
> I Am Proud Of All The Branches Of Our Military.
> If You Are Proud Too, Please Pass This E-Mail On.
> ~
> If Not,
> Then Delete This E-Mail.
> But Rest Assured,
> That The Fine Men And Women Of Our Military
> Will Continue To Serve And Protect Your
> Freedom And Right To Do So!
> <>
> “GOD BLESS AND KEEP OUR TROOPS SAFE!

and then there was this one:

> U.S. Marine
>
> A U.S. Marine squad
> was marching north
> of Fallujah when they came upon an Iraqi terrorist,
> badly
> injured and unconscious. On the opposite side of the road
> was an
> American Marine in a similar but less serious state.
>
> The Marine was
> conscious and alert and as first aid was
> given to both men, the squad leader
> asked the injured Marine
> what had happened. The Marine reported, “I was
> heavily
> armed and moving north along the highway here, and coming
> south
> was a heavily armed insurgent. We saw each other and
> both took cover in the
> ditches along the road. I yelled to
> him that Saddam Hussein was a miserable,
> lowlife scum bag
> who got what he deserved, and he yelled back that
> Ted
> Kennedy is a fat, good-for-nothing, left wing liberal drunk
> who
> doesn’t know how to drive. So I said that Osama Bin
> Laden dresses and acts
> like a frigid, mean-spirited lesbian!
> He retaliated by yelling, “Oh yeah?
> Well, so
> does Nancy Pelosi!” “And, there we were, in the
> middle of the
> road, shaking hands, when a truck hit
> us.”

I’ve been getting these emails ever since they got a computer.  One every eight or nine days.  I started a reply to one, and finally decided that it was a losing battle so deleted it.  I think I’d had enough today.

Here’s my reply:

Ronnie,

You need to realize that the reason very few of our soldiers who die in Iraq are represented in the mainstream media is because George Bush realized before the was in Iraq started that he’d loose support for it very fast if Americans got to view planes full of coffins as they did during the Vietnam War.  Until reporters filed for access under the Freedom of Information Act there were no photos taken of the remains of soldiers coming home from Afhanistan or Iraq.  Following along that train of thought, very little information was given about how or why the soldiers died.  And while we are on the subject of funerals for fallen soldiers, did you know that George Bush is the only US president that never attended the funeral of a fallen soldier.  He was afraid of how it would look to the media.

As per the email about Osama bin Ladan and Ted Kennedy.  The joke is in bad taste.  Let me repeat that…BAD TASTE!  If you really think that Osama bin Laden and Ted Kennedy have the same view of our country then it’s high time you do some reading on what Ted Kennedy did for America.  Do you know he was a huge proponent and supporter of Medicaid and Medicare?  The whole reason my mother has health insurance is because of people like Ted Kennedy.  Do you know that the reason your kids are able to see a doctor when they are sick when you don’t have the money to pay for it is because of people like Ted Kennedy.  The conservative right would tell you that President Obama’s health care plan will lead to socialized medicine.  I don’t know how to break this to you, but you get treated through socialized medicine.  Your rent is paid through social services.  My mother gets her healthcare paid through social services.  I got every vaccination I ever received as a child through social services.  My family got food stamps when I was a kid through social services.  And all of these things are through great people like Ted Kennedy who fought for the little guy even though he was rich beyond both of our imaginations.

It’s one thing to disagree with someone politically.  It’s even okay to get heated about it and sometimes even yell about it.  It’s wrong on every level to equate someone who thinks differently than you as a “terrorist,” unpatriotic,” or “evil.”  Every night on Fox News they have someone preaching that Obama is trying to destroy the country.  That Nancy Pelosi is working for Al Queda.  Do you really believe these things?  Do you really believe that when Barack Obama gets up in the morning his number one goal is to do all the damage he can do to our country.  George Bush did a lot of things I thought were stupid.  The Iraq War for one.  There were never weapons of mass destruction and it’s been more than documented that Saddam had no ties with the people behind 9/11.  I have no idea what his reasons for going to war were, but I think he had them.  I don’t think he got up one day and decided to destroy our country as we know it.  I disagree with him.  I wish he’d never been president.  I don’t wish him dead.  There are many people out there who would love to see Obama dead.  They scream that he is the anti-christ.  It truly believe that any person out there who wishes our president dead is UNPATRIOTIC.  We live in a country where are leaders are elected through a political process.  People run for office.  The people vote and the person with the most votes wins.  So whether you like it or not, we had an election…Obama won.  If you don’t like it, then get out there, find out who’s running against him, sign up to volunteer, and then do all you can to see that he isn’t elected again.  That’s the American Way.  Shooting the man might sound great to you, but it undermines the very essence of the democracy laid out in our Constitution.

I’ll leave you with this one point.  I watch the news on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.  They are all biased.  They all say they aren’t but I think they are.  I do know this though.  Fox News preys on people they think won’t bother to do the research on the points they make.  Do some research on line and you’ll discover that they play to people they think are too stupid to know the difference.  People who are poor and unemployed and worried they are about to lose their house, their children, and their well being.  So I say this.  Believe what you want.  But listen to what the other side has to say.  Turn the TV to CNN.  Or NPR.  Or MSNBC.  Do some follow up online.  Read what’s out there.  Then make a decision.  Don’t believe what they tell you because they think you are too stupid to know the difference.  I don’t think that’s the case, don’t let them think it either.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “A Letter to the Family…

  1. Chris September 23, 2009 / 03:09

    Oh honey, you’re just beating your head against a brick wall with this, but I have to say it’s well written. If only we could get people to just sit down and think and investigate on their own instead of just taking what the MSM wants to feed to them. *sigh* Great points made, nonetheless!

  2. Lemuel September 23, 2009 / 05:44

    I fear that Chris is right, although sometimes we just have to vent. It is so frustrating to see the blatant ignorance that seems to abound currently in our nation. Your reply is reasoned and grounded in facts. The problem is the other side is neither swayed nor even interested in facts or reason. Never have been. Never will be.
    I grew up among ’em, I’m related to ’em, I worked among ’em. I also get emails like this all the time from “friends” and from my own distant cousins. I’ve often wondered what is in their psyche that they have this need to spread their crap. I suspect that deep down it may be their own insecurity and their knowledge that their arguments are weak. I don’t send them stuff. Why do they send their stuff to me?

  3. javabear September 23, 2009 / 07:34

    My in-laws’ computer crashed and they haven’t replaced it. My inbox and my blood pressure are much happier now.

  4. Sarah September 23, 2009 / 08:19

    I think it’s great that you responded. You were tactful and honest. Maybe if everyone had the time to make these kinds of responses, a dialogue would begin in the country and “the tone” would change.

    It is willful ignorance that is destroying America not a thoughtful, intelligent and curious president.

  5. catrina September 23, 2009 / 15:08

    You did the right thing. Even if it does fall on deaf ears (blind eyes?), it needed to be said. I’m still at the point of deleting political e-mail from my friends. I wish I had the guts to tell them ENOUGH! Can I just cut and paste your e-mail???

  6. Urspo September 24, 2009 / 00:17

    I admire your attempt to set things better; it sounds all a bit futile. Good for you for a valiant attempt – did you get a response?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s