California Continued…

I’ve been waiting for 45 minutes for loud-talking sublettor to get up from the fucking dining room table next to my computer and go to bed.  It’s now 11:36 and even now she keeps coming back to check on something.  I don’t want her to know about my blog so I have to keep opening random emails so she doesn’t see the page that I’m on.

Now she’s threatening to come back to her computer.  She’s hovering.  Kind of like a space alien.  She’s loud talking with Adam right now.  Seems she’s yelling about when she’s leaving.  It appears that it’s going to be Saturday morning.  And now she’s going to bed.  Yippee!!!!

Now we return to our regularly scheduled program.

It’s Tuesday morning…at 5:00 a.m.  The alarm goes off and as much as I want to snooze it, I have to turn it off and get up.  We both sluggishly get a shower.  Our goal was to be out of the house at 6:00 on the nose.  Of course in my delirium I had forgotten that we had to load the car.  We had to pack all the cupcakes, the wedding cake, our suitcases, two big tubs to put all the fresh cut flower in, theatrical lights, two tubs of sugar flowers, Adam’s suit, all the programs and menus, cupcake tower, gift card box, flower girl baskets, and all the tools we needed to get our jobs completed.

At 6:25 we drove away from Todd’s.  First stop.  McDonalds.  I had to have a BIG 44 oz. Diet Coke for 96 cents and Adam needed a sausage mcmuffin with no cheese and no egg.  And finally, we pulled on to I-5 and headed north.

Our next stop was the flower market in Los Angeles.  Of course that involved missing a turn and taking about 25 extra minutes to get there.  We found parking, paid our two dollar admittance charge and were on our way.  We had 500 dollars and about 90 minutes to buy all the flowers needed for the wedding.  We did a big circle through the whole market to get a feel for what was there and who had the most of what we needed.  Once Adam had a plan we hit the first place.  We spent bought all the blue and white hydrangeas they had.  Of course at this point we had no idea how we were going to be able to carry all of our purchases but that was a problem for later.  We paid, asked the lady if we could come back later and get them and we were off.  On our way to the next stall we saw people pushing carts, so of course we stopped someone and asked where they came from.  Seemed we needed to go to the second floor pay a deposit and then the cart was ours till we finished.  Of course it took 15 minutes to find the elevator to the second floor.  It was hidden all the way against the back wall around a flower stall.  So we get the cart and head back downstairs.  At this point it’s 9:45 and the place closes at 11:00.  Adam was convinced that was plenty of time, me not so much.

Over the course of the next 45 minutes we circled the flower market at least four or five times buying more and more that we needed.  We purchased almost every bunch of blue and white hydrangeas in the place.  A crap load of greenery and a million different “wildflowers.”  At 10:45 I went to get the car while Adam finished paying for the last bunch.  I am sitting in the car waiting when he rounds the corner with a cart filled knee high with flowers.  I’m convinced at this point they’ll never fit in the car.  I open the doors and start handing him flowers.  It was hot in LA and so we’d bought big storage containers that we’d filled half full of water at Todd’s.  This was to keep the flowers somewhat alive as we drove two hours north of the city.  Believe it or not, we were able to get just about every bunch of flowers into water.  How we did it I’ll never know.  I do know that I couldn’t see out of the back windows because the car was filled with flowers.

Adam left to take the cart back and I waited in the car.  Finally after what seemed like an hour he returned.

We did a quick check of the money.  For all the flowers he bought which turned out to be far more than he ever used, he only spent 280.  Not bad if you ask me.

By this time it’s 11:15 a.m.

Next stop.

Another cake store.

I don’t even remember what he needed.  I do know that I had to have him swear to me that he’d go into the store and come right back out.  He can totally lose track of time when he goes into one of these places.

By 12:30 I had been Diet Coked and we were on our way.

We punched in the address of the wedding and asked Sissy to tell us where to go.

At 3:00 p.m. or so we pulled in to the parking lot.

We had four hours to prep and finish everything for the rehearsal dinner.


4 thoughts on “California Continued…

  1. javabear September 2, 2009 / 05:36

    I bet the car smelled fantastic after you left the flower market.

  2. Sarah September 2, 2009 / 09:32

    Again, no straight man has ever done anything close to what you did to help this woman get her wedding and reception pulled together.

    All straight women who have ever received any wedding planning help from a gay man, better be in favor of gay marriage!

  3. Tom September 2, 2009 / 12:21

    MD… I read your stuff on CA and I admire… I read between the lines on your stuff at home… and I admire… Glad to hear that things are going so well with you and Adam…. I am in the same place, Michael and I are way beyond where I expected to be…. Oh and btw… get rid of the roomie!

    Love ya man

  4. Urspo September 2, 2009 / 22:36

    fun reading
    I am glad you got our diet coke.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s