Day 18 In The Land of Corn…Day Three and Closing of the Show…Day 4 of the Cast…and 4 more hours till I’m home.

As I start typing this it’s 2:48 a.m.  It’s my last day/evening in Iowa.  Unless I don’t make it to Des Moines to the airport of if by some reason the plane doesn’t take off, I should be home in about six hours.  My flight lands in New York at 9:35, and with any luck I should be in my apartment by 10:30 or so.  Of course when I actually walk through  the door depends on how long it takes to get to the third floor on crutches.  I just got off the phone with airline to let them know that I would need a wheel chair in NYC.  I’m not doing so bad with the crutches, but if I don’t have to walk, I’m not going to.

For the most part I’m starting to be acclimated to the foot.  Of course every once in a while I forget that it’s broken and bang it on something, or put more weight on it than I should.  I end up regretting that for the next several hours.  Last night I almost fell off the stage and landed on my foot.  Tonight getting out of the bathtub I slipped and put too much weight on it.  I end up propping it up for a couple of hours afterward and popping the Tylenol-3.  It dulls the pain pretty well, but makes me a bit loopy.  Hopefully, when I get to NYC I can become a recluse and just hang out at home.  Of course there’s a gathering of students from grad school tomorrow night that I would love to go to, but I don’t think that I’m up to it.  Which sucks because it would be nice to see everyone and let them buy me beers since I’m injured.  At least I think they would buy me beers.

So the show closed today.  I wasn’t sad, and I don’t think I’ll miss it.  Sometimes you work on shows that you become very close to and you are sad when you leave them, or when the close.  I think the show here was beautiful and everyone liked my work.  But I wasn’t attached to it the way I sometimes am.  I do look forward to getting the photographs of the show and there are videos as well.  I’m hoping to have my professional resume updated soon, since I can’t really do much else.  I haven’t updated it in a year so it’s about time I got to it.

After the show there was a round of thanks.  A couple of the students sincerely came up to me and offered thanks.  One girl in particular was extremely gracious.  However, for the most part they just filed out of the theatre with out even acknowledging me.  The “dude’ who conveniently missed his own tech and was late the next day with neither an apology or an excuse didn’t even bother to approach me.  He’s either entirely self-centered or terribly ashamed of his behavior.  Either way it’s completely unacceptable for him to behave that way.  Whether he wants to admit it or not, my design added the final element to his choreography and made it complete.  Without my work, the entire concept would have been lost.  And I’m not patting myself on the back.  His entire piece was about playing with light and shadow and it’s effect on the space.  It’s hard to deal with light and shadow without a lighting designer.  Or at least I think so.  If someone else can figure out how to do it, perhaps they can let me know.

So the show was over, and the artistic staff all gathered in the back to say our goodbyes.  That part was actually kind of sad.  I love the people that I work with here, and they make doing my job effortless.  I’m going to have to pick up something for the TD from NYC and send it to him when I get home.  I just don’t know what that will be.  If you have any ideas let me know.

After the show, all of the people from my house went home to hang out.  We were there about 30 minutes before we left to go get burgers from the local steakhouse.  I’ve never wished I had my camera more.  The place  looked like it hadn’t had a face lift since 1972.  And even then it would have been poorly decorated.  The walls were concrete.  There was  barn wood paneling in the entry way.  The tables were probably old in 1952 from the way they rocked back and forth and the brown formica covering on them.  There was fresh bouquets of flowers on each table.  And by fresh I mean they were bought at the Dollar Store at least 10 years ago and hadn’t been washed or dusted since.  There was a fake fireplace against the wall in the non-smoking part of the restaurant with a mantel and lovely fake blue flowers in vases.  The wall above it sported a nifty wooden clock that was way to small for the space it was taking up, and next to it were two sconces that looked like they were straight out of Home Interiors.  (I was going to put a link to their website but you have to register to use it so never mind).  The bathroom was my favorite part.  It was a huge room made of cinder blocks that were painted red.  There was a stall in one corner that barely took up an space.  On the wall that was about 25 feet long there were two urinals placed right next to each other.  With no divider with nothing else on the wall.  I was reminded of a porn movie from the 80’s where two guys met in the restroom and ended up fucking on the floor next to the urinal.  With the size of this restroom you could have had sex with the entire New England Patriots football team and still had enough room for a tupperware party.  The waitress was wonderful.  She was a no nonsense kind of gal.   No pleasantries.  No hello.  No thank yous.   It was clearly a what do you want, I’ll bring it to you kind of establishment.  As I said I’m pissed as hell that I didn’t bring my camera.

On the way home we stopped at the evil store Wal-Mart to get toe-nail polish.  It was decided that since the polish from my pedicure was peeling off that I should repaint my nails a very smart color in honor of my cast.  Especially since everyone would be seeing my toes now.  I sent them all in with the request that the polish not be purple.  They came out with a very stylish blue.  It was glossy and the color matches my eyes.  It was just the thing.

The only other thing I asked for was two 20 oz. bottles of Diet Coke so I didn’t have to stop this morning to get one for the hour + ride to the airport.  I didn’t see them put them in the car and I didn’t see them until two minutes ago.  They got two 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke.  How the fuck am I supposed to drink a 2-liter bottle in the car.  Let alone two?  Do you really need a Ph.D. to figure this out.  I’m just saying.

Once we were home, I spent an hour packing.  It should have taken about 12 minutes, but when you only have one foot it makes things a little difficult.  I would have to hop to one side of the room and get things.  And then to the other side of the room to get other things.  And then I would have to stop and rest because I’m just to old and fat to be hopping around the room.  And of course at least twice I stepped down on my foot sending little shards of pain through my ankle.  Eventually it was done and I called down for someone to get my bag.

Next step.  Bathe.

Cleaning myself has become a chore.  I can’t shower so I have to take a bath.  I can’t get my foot wet so I have to use the foot condom.  It takes forever to get my pants off.  And  then there’s the issue of getting into the tub without breaking my other ankle and without further damaging the one that’s already broken.  In all it takes about 45 minutes start to finish.  Which is great if you are relaxing with a bottle of wine and a candle.  Not so much if not.  So I spent a good deal of time getting clean to day.

Then it was time to do the nails.

First step…take off the old polish.

Next step add the polish.

And the finished product.

Ignore that second toe.  I damaged the nail years ago running.  It’s a condition known as runner’s toe and causes the toenail to become black and sometimes fall off.  Since that happened it’s never been normal since.  And well today when I clipping my toenails in preparation of the painting the entire nail came off.  Of course it has to be the foot with the cast so everyone can see it.  But what’s a girl to do.  Que Sera, Sera


7 thoughts on “Day 18 In The Land of Corn…Day Three and Closing of the Show…Day 4 of the Cast…and 4 more hours till I’m home.

  1. Rick April 28, 2008 / 04:21

    Que Sera to Iowa…I’m going to miss your daily musings from the corn field.

    Hope you made it back to NYC safely.


  2. Lemuel April 28, 2008 / 05:21

    “…With the size of this restroom you could have had sex with the entire New England Patriots football team and still had enough room for a tupperware party…”

    And this is bad because…? (especially if Brady is involved) *eg*

    Wishing you a safe an uneventful trip back home. …oh, what the heck, not “uneventful”, but filled with *good* events, because we need you to have *stuff* to write about on your blog!

    Seriously, have a good trip back home!

  3. Mike April 28, 2008 / 05:23

    It’s a good thing you mentioned that the Patriots played football, ’cause I was gonna ask. 😉

    Hope you are having a safe trip right now. And that you had an aisle seat!

  4. Kelly Stern April 28, 2008 / 06:22

    We call that color Carolina Blue here… since Jeff is from NC and that is the color he gets his toes done in…. safe travels.. i am sure there is going to be some good airport stories with that foot

  5. Sarah April 28, 2008 / 09:43

    Have a good flight!

  6. Janet April 28, 2008 / 14:34

    Hello there, found your blog by way of Bill (Planet Bill). Love the nails but aren’t you worried the hospital may think you have a circulation problem with that colour of blue?? 😀

  7. Bill April 28, 2008 / 16:18

    I’m wondering if Kim bought the 2-liter Diet Cokes? We already know she is challenged by grocery gathering.
    I ate at a similar sounding restaurant in Morrison, Iowa, a few years ago. The tumblers were that pebbly kind of clear plastic, and the plates were plastic, too – like you’d see in a school cafeteria. I got the Iowa Chop, and it was the best damned pork chop I’ve ever had…about two inches thick and HUGE. So good I would have smacked my grandma, except she’s dead.
    You got a mention on my latest blog, if you care to drop by. This means that half of my three or four regular readers could stampede over to your blog, so beware. I hope you have/had a safe trip home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s