A Wonderfully Wonderful Wednesday…

Okay, so maybe I over reacted a little yesterday. I’ve had the best day today and it was all without TV, air conditioning or a microwave.

I was awake before the alarm went off this morning to take my friend Michelle to the bus station. She was taking a bus to Boston to catch a plane to Michigan. I was up and ready to go way before she was ready. We got there and I dropped her off no problem. I then headed over to the bay thinking I would walk this morning instead of later in the afternoon. I was just about to start when I realized that if Michelle had any problems getting to Boston she’d have no way of getting in touch with me so I changed my mind and came home. When I got home I fed Max and then promptly went back to sleep. I was still in bed when my roommate called to chat. I lied to him about still being a sleep not wanting to seem like a slug. I don’t even remember why he called now.

After the phone call I got up and went downstairs. It was a beautiful morning with not a cloud in the sky. I let the dog out and then came in and made breakfast. One of the things I’m having to learn how to do on the South Beach Diet is to eat breakfast. I’ve never been much of a breakfast person. I usually settled with a computer. My roommate turned me on to a Canadian TV show several months ago called Slings and Arrows. I watched season one while I was in Iowa. And have watched season two over the past couple of days. It’s a great show about a theatre company in Canada. It’s very funny, even if you don’t know theatre. If you do it’s even better.


After finishing season two, I got dressed and took Max for a walk. The above picture is of Max from last summer. She loves walks like there was nothing better in the world. In fact you have to spell the word if you are going to say it and aren’t actually doing it. The minute you mention the word “walk” she starts to bounce and prance like a two month old puppy. So off we went. The walk isn’t very long because she tires easily but it does take us down past the water, up by the shirtless construction workers, over by the shirtless landscapers and then back home. I’m sure you are getting the theme.

We got home and I was going to get ready for MY walk. But I looked in the front room and the window seat in the bay window and People Magazine were calling my name. I just had to find out how Lindsay got herself into trouble so soon after rehab. I probably read about 15 pages of the magazine sitting on the window seat with the cool ocean air blowing in with Max settled at the other end of the seat. Next thing I knew an hour had passed and both of us had been asleep. When I woke up the shirtless boy from across the street was talking on the phone. I was three for three today.

After the nap I dressed for my walk. Since I’ve been in Maine I walked the back bay everyday. To walk from home is about 5 miles and unfortunately takes you buy the water treatment plant. So most days I drive to the bay and walk from there. It’s 3.5 miles around and takes about an hour to do. It’s a beautiful walk with trees and homes on one side and a view of the city from the other. And the best part…you guessed it. Lots and lots of shirtless boys. My favorite today was about 6.3 with beautiful hairy well-defined pecs with a washboard tummy and legs that went on forever. He was perfectly tanned with a little goatee and smiled as he ran by. Luckily he passed me again on his way back. I went a little early today so there weren’t as many boys. If I go between 5 and 7 the place is packed with them. It’s definitely motivation to get back into shape.

It’s kind of like this around the bay.


After the walk, I came home and showered and shaved. For those who know me, you know I HATE to shave. I do it about once every two or three weeks. I felt like it was time today. So I shaved and then took a really long hot shower. The wonderful thing about the bathroom here. They have a HUGE claw foot tub that I plan to use in the next couple of days. I’m thinking a wine glass full of Diet Coke (I can’t drink wine on my diet) and a good book and Max lying by the tub. It’ll be heaven.

After the shower I headed off to the movies. I had looked up a theatre about 8 miles from here and Mapquested it so I was all ready to go. I left plenty early in case I got lost or there was a problem. Turned out the directions were exactly right. I got there about 6:30 and sat in the parking lot talking to my mom. She was on her way to senior citizen night at Kroger, her local grocery store. Seems the first Wednesday of the month anyone over the age of 60 gets 10% off their groceries. She waits and then buys everything she can for the month. I can hardly wait for such pleasures.

After the conversation I went in to the movie. I saw 1408. It was good. I’ve come to realize that I like scary movies less and less as I’ve gotten older. They aren’t as fun as they used to be. That being said it really was a well done movie and the lighting was perfect and I think John Cusack is great and cute so the scenery was nice. It has a surprise little ending and leaves you wondering a little at the end. It was a lot of fun.

After the movie I came home and did something I haven’t done in ages. I actually cooked dinner. Not just microwaved something. Or did something easy. I made dinner. I had grilled chicken that I cooked on the stove with spices and a marinade and then I sauteed spinach and had green beans. I finished it off with a tossed salad. It was nice. It would have only been better if I could have had a nice glass of wine with it, but that will come.

After dinner I started watching Casino Royale. I stopped to get a Diet Coke and ended up being side tracked by writing this post. I’m gonna go finish it now. After all Daniel Craig is shirtless and BEAUTIFUL. What’s not to like.


As for the diet. Today is day seven. I have been doing great so far. I don’t know how much weight I’ve lost because Michelle hid my scale. She told me I was being too obsessive about my weight each day. I know, I know I’m not supposed to weigh everyday bit it’s hard not to. So I won’t know about the weight for another two weeks. In the meantime I feel better than I’ve felt in weeks and I feel thinner. I don’t know if I really am, but I feel like I am.

Hope everyone else had just as wonderful a Wednesday.


4 thoughts on “A Wonderfully Wonderful Wednesday…

  1. ink2metal August 2, 2007 / 00:37

    very nice!

    maybe i need to visit my friend in portland so i can experience some of that hot nor-eastern maleness.

  2. Lemuel August 2, 2007 / 04:07

    Sounds like a delightful day! Topped with topless guys! Whee-hoo! Are you sure such eye candy is on your diet?

  3. Brett August 2, 2007 / 06:56

    I had a great day but not as great as yours! Glad you had a good one – sounds wonderful!

  4. Donnie August 2, 2007 / 12:39

    Sounds like a wonderful day. I would’ve loved to have seen the shirtless hunks with you on the walk.

    Have you thought about having EggBeaters for breakfast? I love scrambling them up, especially the flavored ones. http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp And once you get into adding a bit more carbs to your diet, you might even like adding the scrambled EggBeaters to low-carb tortillas as a wrap. http://www.latortillafactory.com/jadworks/ltf/jwsuite.nsf/SiteWelcome/Home

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s