Day Thirty-Nine: Oklahoma

I hate when I feel like I have to do a post, which is exactly how I feel right now.  It’s late, 2:14 a.m. and I’m tired and for the life of me don’t know what to include for today.  I don’t want to recap the day, there’s nothing to complain about, life is good and I sort of want to leave it at that.  But I won’t keep many readers with entries that don’t say anything.

It was a good day.  I woke up this morning before the alarm went off and got to lie there for almost an hour before I had to get up.  I did wait a little too long because the showers were full when I made my way down to the bathroom.  But it was no big deal.  I got dressed and headed downstairs to meet the stage managers to get a ride to the theatre.

At the theatre today I shadowed the stage manager who is in charge of the last show I designed.  There are two stage managers total.  One of them did the first two shows.  And the other one did the last one.  Today I basically followed the last one around so that I could learn the show from her perspective.  Next weekend we are doing the show out of town and she can’t be there.  So I’m going to do her job.  It promises to be quite the adventure because I hate stage managing and I’m going to have my hands full doing my own job.  I’m sure you’ll get a full update next week.

After the show I helped the crew take apart the set for one of the shows.  It closed in town today.  As I mentioned we are touring with it next week but the show I designed is gone for good.  It always seems like a lot of work to only do a show three or four times.  It took us about 2.5 hours to get everything apart and into the backstage area.  Tomorrow it goes on a truck and is taken to storage where it will sit for the next week.

After everything was cleaned up, we ran to get food.  I wasn’t hungry so I waited in the car and called my friend Ryan who is directly to blame for my being here this summer.  He designed scenery here for the past three summers and recommended me to the director after they hated their lighting designer last year.  He raved and raved about how wonderful it all was.  He did all of this and then decided not to come back this season.  He definitely pulled a fast one on me.  So I told him he owed me big time for getting me into this and then bailing.  Then we spent the next thirty minutes on the phone sharing stories about the dorm, the director, and the shows.   In the meantime I had arrived back at the dorm, so I took a three minute shower and got dressed for the evening show.

At the theatre tonight we tried my idea of turning the air conditioner off so that the haze would look better.  We were supported in this endeavor by the facilities people who told us they could give us static air conditioning.  I had never heard of this but it sounded great.  So the show starts and the haze looks great and the temperature rises, and rises and rises and rises.  The static idea didn’t seem to be working.  The haze looked great but the audience was melting.  At intermission I gave in and had the “real” air turned back on.  In about three minutes the place was an igloo and there wasn’t a bit of haze to be seen anywhere.  I had tried to argue that we must suffer for our art.  I was told I could suffer, but not the audience.  Fuck.


One thought on “Day Thirty-Nine: Oklahoma

  1. urspo July 8, 2007 / 19:08

    i don’t believe in suffering for suffering’s sake.
    there is enough suffering as it is without adding more to it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s